DataSET Product and AI Design is a newly formed team that designs data and information products to solve business problems and meet customer needs. We work across Dow Jones’ lines of business (The Wall Street Journal, Barron’s Group, PIB) to define customer needs, design new solutions and prototype these solutions to prove their value. The Product Design intern will report to the Senior Director, DataSET Product Design and collaborate with our Innovation team to design new product solutions for a target customer audience. This role is based in NYC.
The Product Design Intern will design and prototype a new product or feature targeted for a customer audience we wish to grow. This role draws from UX design, and will support each step of a user-centered design process, from customer interviews to concept design and testing.
In this role you will:
- Drive a user-centered design process, understanding customer behaviors and goals. Be the voice of the customer across the design life-cycle.
- Ideate and produce solutions using sketches, wire-frames and prototypes.
- Participate in user research to validate hypotheses and design decisions.
- Design digital experiences that are simple, beautiful and solve a customer need.
- Actively participate in feedback conversations from design critiques to stakeholder reviews.
- Support the development of internal processes, including prototyping tool kits and research playbooks.
- Working towards a bachelor’s degree in Technology, specifically UX, graphic design, information architecture, interaction design or related field, with at least two years of school successfully completed.
- Examples of projects demonstrating design fundamentals and user-centered design solutions; experience with B2C and/or B2B web sites or applications design is a plus.
- Sharp eye for good typography, solid design and layout.
- Ability to balance user needs and business goals.
- The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task.
- Preferred: Experience creating minimum viable products, utilizing rapid prototyping and iterative design techniques.
- Proficiency in MacOSX, Sketch, Figma and Invision.
- Solid understanding of user-centered design principles and fundamentals, demonstrated in portfolio pieces or project experiences.
- Familiarity with user research and testing to inform and validate design decisions and make iterative improvements.
- Willingness to learn, can-do attitude, and adaptability.
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- A great sense of humor.
- IndustryOnline Media
- About UsBeginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to become a world-wide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including our flagship Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch and Financial News and other great products. World-class journalism lies at the core of our growing news-derived data capabilities, driven by innovation in AI and machine learning. We understand that the better the provenance of information, the greater the opportunity.